Ontario Premier Doug Ford and New Brunswick Premier Susan Holt are lending support to Prime Minister Mark Carney’s assertion that “there is almost nothing normal now in the United States.”
Speaking at a joint announcement to trumpet increased trade between the provinces in light of the trade war with the U.S., the premiers were asked Wednesday to respond to Carney’s comments.
“I agree with him. I think the whole world is watching that, including Americans,” Ford said.
He added “it’s unfortunate President Trump has taken this avenue that he’s going down. But remember, a tariff on Canada is a tax on Americans.”
Holt said she too agrees with Carney, saying “that nothing is the same anymore” in Canada’s relationship with the U.S.
“We see what’s happening in the country. We see it in New Brunswick right now with ICE agents on the border of New Brunswick and Maine in Calais, and it makes all of us very, very uncomfortable,” Holt said.
“And there’s nothing that we recognize in our neighbours right now with the leadership that they have, and we’re eager to support them in a return to the long-standing and strong partnership that Canada, and the U.S. have had for generations.”
When it comes to trade, Ford was also asked what Carney told him to get him to tone down his rhetoric about an EV deal with China that he previously called “terrible.” Responding, Ford offered little new insight and said he wouldn’t divulge “personal details” from conversations he had with the prime minister.
“I think everyone knows where I stand. I was very clear with the prime minister,” Ford said. “I met with Minister Joly. I look forward to sitting down and putting a strong auto strategy together and supporting our domestic auto manufacturers in Ontario.”
Carney’s trade deal with China was lauded by Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe because of its importance in lifting canola tariffs imposed on Canadian products by China.
While he wouldn’t disclose what he talked about with the prime minister to put his mind at ease when it comes to the deal, Ford expressed confidence Wednesday that Carney will also be able to bridge the gap between B.C. Premier David Eby and Alberta Premier Danielle Smith when it comes to pipelines.
“What may be good for New Brunswick may not be good for B.C., that may not be good for Alberta or Ontario, vice versa,” Ford said.
“But we’ve showed a united front, and it doesn’t matter what political stripe the premiers come from, we have a very, very close relationship with each other. We work together and we work things out. So I’m feeling confident the prime minister, he can work out maybe some disagreements out on the west coast.”
Ford pointed out that the premiers “carried the ball” on trade around this time last year when the federal government “was pretty well falling apart.”
“I’m feeling positive compared to last year,” he said.
Ford also said he plans to continue “being vocal” in his defence of Ontario and Canada when it comes to trade.

