Business

Bell boosts cellular capacity in Montreal for Grand Prix weekend

Published: 

Fans look on at the start of the Canadian Grand Prix Formula One auto race in Montreal on Sunday, June 15, 2025. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Christinne Muschi)

Bell Canada says it has boosted cellular capacity for this weekend’s Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal in anticipation of a surge in network demand.

The company says it has increased overall network capacity in Montreal by 20 per cent, with focused upgrades at key Grand Prix sites and enhanced connectivity at high-traffic fan zones.

That includes deploying additional wireless spectrum — the electromagnetic frequencies that enable smartphone communications — at the F1 Paddock Club and grandstands, and stationing portable mobile towers known as Cells on Wheels nearby.

Bell says the efforts will help fans avoid disruptions during periods of peak usage, whether they’re using their cellphones for streaming, gaming or sharing in real-time.

The company says it will be monitoring network performance throughout race weekend in order to manage traffic spikes and ensure a consistent, high-quality experience.

Last year, an announced 352,000 spectators attended the event at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve over its three days.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published May 22, 2026.

CTV News, BNN Bloomberg and CP24 are owned by Bell Media, which is a division of BCE.