(Bloomberg) -- Want the lowdown on European markets? In your inbox before the open, every day. Sign up here.
For those bored by the endless procession of prosaic 2020 outlooks from Wall Street, Saxo Bank has just issued its 10 outrageous predictions for next year.
Anticipating 12 months marked by “disruption of the status quo” at “nearly every turn,” the Danish bank argues that investors should be ready for anything. That includes:
- U.K. growth doubling to 8%
- Stagflation taking hold, rewarding value over growth stocks
- ECB hiking rates
- Oil and gas industry emerging as surprise winners amid the mania over ESG
- USDZAR rising from 15 to 20 as the world cuts credit lines to South Africa
- Trump announcing America First Tax to reduce trade deficit
- Sweden unleashing “huge fiscal stimulus” to quell anti-immigrant sentiment, driving a steep rally in the krona
- Democrats winning the U.S. election in a vote led by women and millennials
- Hungary leaving the EU
- Asia launching new reserve currency to break its dollar dependence
Read more: Some of 2019’s Wackiest Investment Predictions Are Coming True
The end of the populist fightback, finance ministers taking the baton from central bankers, and green finance losing its clout all “could represent one big pendulum swing,” according to the team led by Chief Economist Steen Jakobsen.
“Inevitably the outcomes that prove the most disruptive (and therefore outrageous) are those that are a surprise to consensus,” they write.
If 2019 is anything to go by, they may be onto something. Contrarian calls for this year like the Federal Reserve cutting rates actually came true.
What’s your 2020 vision? Terminal users are invited to join the Markets Live blog’s survey.
To contact the reporter on this story: Cecile Gutscher in London at email@example.com
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Samuel Potter at firstname.lastname@example.org, Yakob Peterseil, Sid Verma
©2019 Bloomberg L.P.