Full episode: Market Call for Thursday, May 17, 2018
Kash Pashootan, CEO and chief investment officer at First Avenue Investment Counsel
Focus: North American dividend stocks and portfolio construction
Investing in equities has felt very different recently, compared to the last seven years.
It's just been so long since we've experienced the good and the bad of being in equities. We've only had the good. We haven't had the volatility, the declines, the pullbacks. So, many have become accustomed to having a certain expectations in equities, which is primarily the rewards of being in equities and not some of the price you pay to get those higher returns. You see all of this translate primarily in the fact that volatility has come back, and it's really a new phenomenon for many because we haven't had it for many years.
CANADIAN TIRE (CTCa.TO)
- The pullback on Canadian Tire's Helly Hanson acquisition is overdone.
INVESTORS BANCORP (ISBC.O)
- A regional bank with high asset quality.
- Lighter regulations on U.S. banks should help Investors Bancorp's earnings and valuation.
NEW FLYER INDUSTRIES (NFI.TO)
- Number 1 transit and motor coach bus manufacturer in North America.
- Pullback on Q1 earnings miss overdone; buying opportunity.
PAST PICKS: JAN. 27, 2017
- Then: $205.71
- Now: $240.59
- Return: 17%
- Total return: 20%
COLUMBIA BANKING SYSTEMS (COLB.O)
- Then: $40.87
- Now: $43.24
- Return: 6%
- Total return: 9%
TD BANK (TD.TO)
- Then: $68.16
- Now: $75.54
- Return: 11%
- Total return: 16%
Total return average: 15%