South African steelworkers will continue to strike after rejecting an increased wage offer from employers.
An industry body raised its salary-increase offer to 6% last week from 4.4%. Talks on Wednesday aimed at reaching an agreement failed, said Lucio Trentini, chief executive officer of the Steel and Engineering Industries Federation of Southern Africa. Discussions are being held Thursday on a way forward, he said.
The National Union of Metalworkers of South Africa rejected the pay offer because it only came from one of the four industry associations that the labor union’s members belong to, Numsa Treasurer Mphumzi Maqungo said by phone. The Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration may intervene to try and help end the wage dispute, he said.
Steel industry employees began the strike on Oct. 5. The work stoppage has affected five of South Africa’s nine provinces and disrupted supply chains to major companies including carmaker BMW AG.
READ: South Africa Steel Strike Threatens to Worsen Employment Crisis
©2021 Bloomberg L.P.