Trade War

Sask. premier says U.S. tariffs are violation of CUSMA deal, supports Canada’s response

Published: 

Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe speaks to reporters ahead of the First Ministers Meeting with Prime Minister Mark Carney in Charlottetown on Thursday July 23, 2026. THE CANADIAN PRESS/Darren Calabrese

As the United States slaps a 50 per cent tariff on some Canadian goods, Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe is calling it a violation of the CUSMA trade deal.

On Friday, Canada and the U.S. announced they failed to strike a last-minute trade deal, meaning new 50 per cent tariffs on $28 billion worth of Canadian goods are now in effect.

“Last minute changes by U.S. negotiators undermined the fairness and reliability of the deal,” Moe said in an X post on Saturday.

Moe says over the past few days, the Canadian government was working toward a deal that would have avoided new tariffs and reduced some tariffs that were previously imposed by the U.S.

“The new 50 per cent U.S. tariffs on some Canadian goods are a clear violation of CUSMA and a clear indication that the current U.S. administration cannot be trusted to live up to its own trade deals,” Moe’s statement read.

In response, Prime Minister Mark Carney says Canada intends to retaliate and match “those tariffs dollar for dollar to protect our workers and businesses,” a response Moe says Saskatchewan supports.

“In the end, the U.S. administration chose to stick with this failed economic policy, and Canada must respond accordingly,” Moe’s statement read.

“The Prime Minister made the right decision to not accept an unfair and unreliable deal, and we support the Prime Minister’s decision to enact dollar for dollar counter-tariffs on targeted U.S. products.”

With files from Stephanie Ha