Full episode: Market Call Tonight for Wednesday, May 23, 2018
David Burrows, president and chief investment strategist at Barometer Capital Management
Focus: North American large caps
David Burrows on Ottawa's decision to block the takeover of Aecon by China-owned CCCC International
"It must have been a difficult decision because clearly Trudeau's government has been interested in building trade and the relationship with China. China is obviously interested in building trade and relationships outside the U.S., so there was an opportunity here, but realistically its probably a good thing to see them, if they feel there's a security concern, doing something about it.
"... It's a tough one because Canada does need to continue to build an open platform for trade with the rest of the world."
CANADIAN NATURAL RESOURCES (CNQ.TO)
UNION PACIFIC (UNP.N)
PAST PICKS: JUNE 20, 2017
OWENS CORNING (OC.N)
Sold on Dec. 18 at $88.22.
- Then: $66.20
- Now: $63.86
- Return: -4%
- Total return: -3%
REGENERON PHARMACEUTICALS INC. (REGN.O)
Sold on Aug. 1 at $481.58.
- Then: $495.33
- Now: $295.31
- Return: -40%
- Total return: -40%
- Then: $69.91
- Now: $98.66
- Return: 41%
- Total return: 44%
Total return average: 0.3%
Barometer Global Macro Pool Class F
Performance as of: April 30, 2018
- 1 Month: -4.31% fund, 0.30% index
- 1 Year: 2.03% fund, 1.86% index
- 3 Year: 12.36% fund, 1.33% index
- 5 Year: 13.30% fund, 2.20% index
* Index: Barclays Global Macro Index ($USD).
TOP 5 HOLDINGS AND WEIGHTINGS
- iShares Transportation Average ETF: 5.91%
- iShares US Medical Devices ETF: 5.58%
- iShares Core S&P Small-Cap ETF: 5.28%
- Xtrackers MSCI Europe Hedged Equity ETF: 5.21%
- iShares US Broker-Dealers & Securities Exchange: 5.15%